Resume and business card final

Resume

To begin creating my new resume, I started by choosing a color. I used the basic font of Helvetica Neue to begin with, opting to change it later. I experimented with different shades of blue, and even tested a purple shade.

Choosing colors

I eventually settled on the second blue. Next, I chose a font for my name and subheadings.

Choosing fonts

I settled on Century Gothic.

I did some research and found that Bookman Old Style was a good match for this font. I tried it out, liked it, and used it for the body text.

For the Leadership section, which is what I feel is the most important part of my resume, I had some trouble because there was so much text. I chose to organize it by club and then time, rather than simply time. This saved me from having to repeat the club name over and over again. This only changed the order I presented it in, but not the appearance. I first tried columns, but disliked how information no longer fit on one line. I also used some alignments, but it still looked messy to me. This also left virtually no room for the rest of my information.

Columns

I used font weights and sizes instead, which did a much better job of keeping the information contained in a page, and chunks of information in a single line. I created paragraph styles to help me classify text: subheading (blue, larger font, align right, Century Gothic), emphasize (bold Bookman Old Style), and de-emphasize (italic Bookman Old Style). I used these in another draft of my resume.

Resume draft

 

I used colors and sizes to emphasize the subheadings, and also set those to the right of the body text. On the top, I used three columns to organize contact information and education.

However, there were still problems that I noticed. I felt the bold font was too distracting and discovered that the italics did a fine job of breaking up information. Rather than having a bold line, italics line, and regular line, I now have two regular lines with italics in between. It looks cleaner while filling the same role. Also, I changed the club names back to the point size of the rest of the body text — again, to provide a cleaner look.

I also added an additional subheading because they seemed to be floating in the other version. I also changed the size and placement of my name to better match the rest of the resume, and adjusted the capitals on the other subheadings accordingly (they were previously all lowercase).

Here is the final product.

Resume final

Business Cards

  Card drafts 1Card drafts 2

Here are some draft pages of my business card. I chose the same fonts and colors as my resume. I wanted to keep the idea of blue left and black right, and played with the spacing and placement of text. Again, I wanted to keep information on one line. I used a smaller point size (7) to ensure that the right-side text did not fall off the page or leave too little white space. Some of these designs were too floaty and ungrounded, and others looked unbalanced.  In the end, I chose this design.

Card final

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: